BEFORE CLASS BEGINS
– make sure you’ve completed all of the tasks from Tuesday’s class. You can access Tuesday’s blog post by clicking on Tuesday’s date on the calendar to the right.
1. Make a name card only if you are new today.
2. Learn classmates’ name (at least two).
3. Check out a laptop if you did not bring your own.
PART ONE: PROJECT-BASED LEARNING FOR WHAT?
WHAT IS GOING ON IN K12 CLASSROOMS?
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE – @ISTEConnects) is the main professional organization for people who work in educational technology. Their practitioner’s journal – Learning and Leading with Technology – is where we get our course readings. I’d like for you to spend some time exploring current topics in K12 educational technology. In class today, you were assigned a specific L&Lw/T issue. From that issue, select an article that is of interest to you and complete the Article Summary.
Your summary should include the following information (please note – your summary should be of college-level length):
*Article information in APA style
*Prior knowledge you have on the article topic, reasons you selected this article, how the topic is relevant to you
*What you learned about the topic
*How this topic impacts K12 teaching and learning
*New questions you have after reading the article
*At the bottom of the summary, draft a 140-character Tweet about your article
PART TWO: SCAVENGER HUNT
This class is about technology, right? So we are going to try some technology tools once in a while. The tool we are going to try today is a scavenger hunt app. I will use the images to explain.
OK. Are you all ready? The first team that completed all the 4 challenges and come back to the classroom will earn a late pass
PART THREE: CREATING A PROFESSIONAL WEBSITE/PORTFOLIO/ACCOUNT
Everyone should have a professional website. We’ll be using about.me to create ours. Today you’ll post your background pictures and write your biography. Work with a partner to help each other write something short, but interesting for your biography. We’ll also add some of the “apps” – like Facebook, Twitter, and some links – like Pinterest. You can view some student examples from the previous semester here.
1. Complete your Current Topics in K12 Educational Technology Article Summary. It is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday. Turn in your article summary to the table by the laptop cart.