We’re starting a new topic today – Creativity and Innovation.
PART ONE. WHAT IS CREATIVITY and INNOVATION?
Why creativity is important in education? So, what does this have to do with technology integration?
Think about tools that you used in communication and collaboration projects. Are there tools available that will enhance student’s creative thinking? Are there tools that will enable students to share their divergent thoughts to a broader audience? What types of activities might be possible in your grade/subject area? (just think about these questions, no need to write them up anywhere).
Check-out your Creativity
1. Activity 1. How many different types of images can you see?
2. Activity 2.Find the answer with the clues.
3. Activity 3. Kindred Relationship
Creativity is not creating totally “new” but ?
PART TWO. WHAT ARE THE TRAITS OF CREATIVE PEOPLE?
Are you creative? Are there any creative people in your life? Do you think they share some common traits?
Some traits of creative people can be considered weird behavior. As a teacher, do you think that you can tell who are creative kids in your class? Do you think that you are prepared to help those creative kids? Let’s watch this video of a creative girl.
PART THREE. CREATIVE PEOPLE & SCHOOL
- Do you have any example about how your teachers encourage you to be creative? What kind of things can you do to help students think creatively? How can you boost students’ creativity?
- Let’s watch two videos from Sir Ken Robinson discussing how schools are killing creativity, here and here.
- There is a school in Hall County, GA called DaVinci Academy. This is really a dream school for both students and teachers. No principal. Only 10 teachers and 240 students. They were having the museum exhibition about Africa and Egypt last spring semester. Students do the research, set up the exhibition and explain everything to visitors all by themselves. The students don’t have textbooks and the teachers create their own curriculum…this made parents a little bit concerned and worried in their first year. However, the test scores from their students proved that they can still achieve the goals and all the standards. They try hard to tell people that creativity, critical thinking, and high motivation…etc, can still be emphasized in the current education system.
PART FOUR. CREATIVITY AND TECHNOLOGY
For the next 2 weeks you’ll be developing a better understand of the ways that technology tools can support creativity for learning.
For us, we need to remind that the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) addresses creativity and innovation:
Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
a. apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes.
b. create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
c. use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
d. identify trends and forecast possibilities.
PART FIVE. BLOGGING: INTRO POSTING
Write your intro post to your blog. From today, we will post at least one post per week.
1. Stopanimation project overview